NeedToKnow lets you monitor specific buffs, debuffs, cooldowns, and totems as timer bars that always appear in a consistent place on your screen.
Note that 4.0 is a pretty big update. I recommend backing up your WTF folder before upgrading just in case there's a problem!
NeedToKnow is especially useful for monitoring frequently used buffs, debuffs, and cooldowns. For example, a rogue could configure NeedToKnow to show timer bars for Slice and Dice, Rupture, and their own stack of Deadly Poison VII. A death knight could use it to track their own diseases on a mob.
- Customizable bar number, size, position, and texture
- Works with procs and on-use trinkets
- Separate settings for each talent specialization (with profile support)
- Track multiple buffs or debuffs with a single bar
- Option for fixed maximum duration so that all bars in a group deplete at the same rate
- Works with SharedMedia
- Low CPU and memory usage
- Overlay a cast time. For example, easily see when to refresh Vampiric Touch or when there's less Flame Shock than it takes to cast Lava Burst.
- Support for watching totems by name (this includes non-shaman totems like Wild Growth.)
- Support for temporary weapon enchants (like Flametongue Weapon)
- Support for SpellID to eliminate issues with duplicate buff names.
- Support for spells like Beacon of Light, Earth Shield, etc. without having to focus
Please use the ticket system on CurseForge for bugs and suggestions.
General options are available in the Blizzard interface options menu. You can type "/needtoknow" or "/ntk" to lock/unlock the addon. To configure individual bars, right click them while unlocked. Bars work while locked. If you only see full bars that aren't changing in response to anything, they are unlocked! Just type /ntk to lock them and get them working for you.
You can enable more groups of bars by going into the Interface settings off the main menu and choosing the AddOns tab.
When entering your settings, be careful with your spelling and capitalization. Also remember that buffs and debuffs sometimes have different names than the items and abilities that apply them. The Death Knight ability Icy Touch, for example, applies a DoT called Frost Fever.
On each bar you can enter in multiple buffs/debuffs deliminated by commas. They are prioritized according to order.
i.e. "Rake, Lacerate" - If both are applied, will display Rake until it expires and then it will track Lacerate
i.e "Curse of Recklessness, Curse of Exhaustion, Curse of Shadows" - Good way to track single instance curses
If you wish to use SpellID, make sure you are using the correct one!
Some folks have put together videos showing off how they configured NeedToKnow
- Nifra (shaman, NTK 3.2.05): http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx1YcknNqxs
- Kripparrian (hunter, NTK 3.0.2): http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6IDQ99y92I
- ashankt (rogue, NTK 2.2): http:www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/technology_and_gaming/watch/v19225317Bd6mdY5e
Why won't NeedToKnow work for me? I set it up but the bars just sit there at full, not moving or tracking anything.
- The bars only time things when the addon is locked. Type "/needtoknow" or "/ntk" to lock/unlock the addon. You can also use the buttons in the AddOns tab of the Blizzard Interface Options menu.
Why won't NeedToKnow track this buff/debuff? It works for other things.
- Check your spelling and capitalization. Also remember that buffs and debuffs sometimes have different names than the items and abilities that apply them. The Death Knight ability Icy Touch, for example, applies a DoT called Frost Fever. If you're using a SpellID, make sure you have the correct one.
How do I track multiple buffs or debuffs on a single bar?
- Enter the name of each buff/debuff separated by commas. They are prioritized according to order. For example, "Rake, Lacerate" will display Rake until it expires and then it will track Lacerate. "Curse of Recklessness, Curse of Exhaustion, Curse of Shadows" is a good way to track single-instance curses.
How do I get more bars?
- You can enable more groups of bars by going into the Interface settings off the main menu and choosing the AddOns tab. If four groups of six bars isn't enough for you, consider another timer bar addon. Also consider rethinking your UI.
How do I get NeedToKnow to track my own DoTs but not those applied by other members of my class?
- Select "Only show if cast by self" in the bar's configuration menu.
- Date created
- Jan 02, 2007
- Last update
- Jul 28, 2016
- Development stage
- GNU General Public License version 3 (GPLv3)
- Curse link
- Recent files